Week 8


This week we began to prepare for our final project, a 10-minute scene out of a soap opera. We had to choose 2 roles to do in the film. I chose to be the Scriptwriter and a Camera Operator which would be equivalent to eight out of ten points of responsibility and if it is required that I have ten points I will also act as a production Runner which is worth two points. Eventually we changed the point requirements so that each job was equivalent to five points, therefore I decided to drop the runner role and become the PA as that was a needed role and I didn't want to be standing around doing nothing for one half of the exam, this lead to the total role points I had increasing from thirteen to fifteen.

I chose to be script writer because I have been interested in creating stories for a long time and have looked at doing it for a living. Script writers are in charge of writing the scripts for pieces of media such as television, Film Radio video games, etc. In many was the scriptwriter’s job is one of the most important because after all if there wasn’t a scriptwriter there wouldn’t be a script. Unlike most jobs in the film industry, Writers are not bound by a contract to a studio, they can write for various companies and see who will give them the best deal for the rights to the script. Professional Writers tend to work at their own leisure as there usually is no immediate need for money as Professional Writers usually have already been successful in previous films. Amateur writers mean while tend to work for free until their work is spotted by a big-name production company.

Like Scriptwriter, the Camera operator is another important job as they are in charge of creating the director's vision of the film and thus have to make sure everything is to the directors liking. Unlike the Scriptwriter who can coordinate with the Director at times to help improve the script, the Camera operator doesn’t really have a say in how the shot should be recorded, their job is mostly to follow the directors’ instructions and as I said earlier, ensure that the director's vision of the film is carried out. I chose to be Camera Operator because I felt I could gain some good experience with both camera operation and following a script in a studio which would help to benefit my film career in Film production as well as to benefit my current You Tube channel as I could learn more about how to correctly hold the camera and follow a script independently.

Word Count 453

References

Websites

An insider's guide to becoming a screenwriter, by Stephen Davis, accessed 23/04/2018, available at: https://www.theguardian.com/careers/insiders-guide-to-becoming-screenwriter

WHAT IS THE CAMERA DEPARTMENT?, Author Unknown, accessed 23/04/2018, avalable at: https://www.myfirstjobinfilm.co.uk/resources/careers-guide/detail?page_id=5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 4

Week 10